The Supreme Court Of The United States (SCOTUS) might put a new Second Amendment case on the docket soon that, on top of other cases, continues to misinterpret the intentions of the founding fathers as outlined in the notes from the constitutional convention in 1787, and the US Constitution. The discussions focused on balance of power between the States and the Federal government. The focus was NOT on individual citizen protections as the Supreme Court is mistakenly asserting. The Constitution itself generally is focused on protection of US citizens and the Nation. Thus the 2008 and 2010 SCOTUS decisions are flawed and largely a product of misinterpretations and mistaken notions about the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.
The Centrist Party introduces it first platform plank:
The level of unnecessary gun violence in America needs a practical solution. The National Rifle Association (NRA) has dominated the discussion on the 2nd Amendment by focusing on “the right to bear arms”. The NRA’s position is essentially Libertarian/Corporatist. When the NRA is confronted with the “well regulated militia” part of the Amendment, the NRA deflects by saying ‘it meant something different back then’ (in the 1700’s).
Truth matters, and the Constitution is our guide: “well regulated” means “well regulated”, no matter what century you are in.
The first Centrist Party platform plank addresses gun violence in America. It does so by complying with the 2nd Amendment FULLY. This CP plank is not a ‘moderate’ position like that of the NRA. The effective conservative solution is to implement the Constitution and empower the States to establish “a well regulated Militia”.
THE CENTRIST PARTY 2ND AMENDMENT PLATFORM PLANK
2nd Amendment Plank: Conservative/Progressive
The 2nd Amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Amendment Points of Focus:
- “A well regulated Militia”
- “security of a free State”
- “right of the people to keep and bear Arms”
Let’s add this up. In order to secure the freedom of the States, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”, and each State shall have a “well regulated Militia” “necessary to the security of a free State”.
The 2nd Amendment was clearly designed by the founders with the aim to form a ‘balance of power’ between the States and the Federal Republic. This was to protect the States from federal republican dominance and authoritarian rule. It was clearly NOT intended to empower ‘individuals’ or ‘private groups’ to rebel against the Federal government.
Simply put: State regulated militias would be much safer than armed random citizens that might be having a bad day; or private militias that rely on lack of regulation to operate in secret or underground, and act as if they are above the law.
It is important to understand that the focus of the 2nd Amendment is to protect the States from Federal overreach. Private militias are not State approved or regulated and thus are not entitled to the protection of the 2nd Amendment.
The 2nd Amendment is NOT an empowerment for individuals or private groups to attack the Federal Republican government or State governments; that is the job of the States. Citizen protests against the federal government are what the 1st Amendment is for. The 1st Amendment protects the rights of the press and citizens: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” That is a right to ‘peacefully’ protest, to and about the government without the Federal government silencing you.
The 2nd Amendment is designed to support a ‘balance of power’ between the states and the national government to prevent takeover or infringement of States by the Federal Republic. Basic civics: We the people live in States, and the States have a contract with the United States of America. It’s called the Constitution. American citizens need to respect and abide that contract.
- CP embraces the 2nd Amendment in FULL, as it is written and clearly intended by the founders and as read in order to protect the people from unnecessary violence:
- Federal shall support the States’ right to enable and regulate a State Militia
- States must utilize military grade code regulation for weapon ownership
- In accordance with the 2nd Amendment: No Private Militias will be allowed
- All State Militia members must undergo background checks
- All State Militia members must report for regular training
- All State Militia members are subject to the law of the land
- It shall be illegal for any private militia, group or individual to invade or threaten State government
- All States should examine the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) for regulatory guidance
- States shall have the right to set age requirements in accord with regional context
- The sale, purchase, distribution, ownership or possession of functional automatic weapons, or weapons that can easily be made functional, is prohibited with the exception of active duty police officers
- The sale, purchase, possession, or distribution of conversion kits that enable automatic function shall be illegal
- It shall be illegal to impersonate state licensed Militia members
- Individuals must be a member of the State Militia to purchase or own firearms
Note: This platform plank outlines the general foundation and reasoning for a common sense solution that adheres to the Constitution and enables States to properly regulate the ownership of “Arms”. Since there is no perfect solution this plank is subject to being updated if The Centrist Party finds a better way to ensure citizen and States rights in relation to Federal rights.
: To join The Centrist Party and help us with smarter solutions for America
Current web address: http://www.uscentrist.org/